What is Sorbtive Media?
Sorbtive Media is an oxide-based, high surface area reactive engineered media that absorbs and retains large amounts of dissolved phosphorus. Sorbtive provides between 100 and 1,000 times more pollutant removal capability compared to conventional filtration media, and unlike other media, it does not desorb (leach) pollutants.
Sorbtive can be applied and designed into stormwater quality treatment systems to achieve low Total Phosphorus effluent concentrations (< 0.1 mg/L), providing a cost-effective means to ensure water quality objectives are met within sensitve watersheds.
How Sorbtive Media Works
Sorbtive is most effectively applied as tertiary treatment or downstream of other Stormwater BMPs, allowing Sorbtive to focus on capturing high levels of dissolved phosphorus. Sorbtive utilizes a high surface area and oxide, which sorbs dissolved phosphorus and physically filters particulate bound phosphorus by capturing fine sediment (TSS). Sorbtive is distinct from conventional stormwater filtration media in part because of its fast-reactive kinetics and its long-lasting capacity for capturing dissolved phosphorus.
It achieves high TP removal through two phosphorus removal mechanisms:
- Physical Filtration – removal of particulate-bound phosphorus and sediment; and
- Sorption – physio-chemical removal of dissolved phosphorus, which is the biologically available portion
Sorbtive Media Performance
- 3rd party testing has demonstrated > 90% removal of Phosphorus when used to amend bioretention soil media View Study
- 3rd party column studies demonstrate that the phosphorus adsorption capacity of Sorbtive Media is more than 800 times greater than conventional media
- When used as a soil or sand amendment, projected service life is typically 10 – 50 years, depending on amended level and site runoff characteristics
Sorbtive Media Features and Benefits
|1. High adsorption capacity
||1. Outstanding phosphorus capture and long service life
|2. Physically robust
||2. Blends easily into soil and sand
|3. Sand-like granules
||3. Compatible with soils and other LID projects
|4. Available in a range of gradations
||4. Flexible design
|5. Inert and non-toxic
||5. Safe to handle
|6. Long lasting
||6. Reduced maintenance costs
|7. Verified 3rd party performance
||7. Superior phosphorus treatment with confidence
Sorbtive Media Applications
- Enhance the phosphorus removal performance of LID or Green Infrastructure (GI) applications (bioretention cells, rain gardens, bioswales, green roofs, pervious pavement) View Drawing
- Sorbtive Vault - employed to provide a high level of phosphorus removal or target an effluent requirement. This system commonly uses pretreatment prior to the Sorbtive Vault for optimum performance View Drawing
- Augment or retrofit common stormwater treatment practices or LID applications by displacing a portion of the conventional media (bioretention, sand filters, filtration trenches)
- Speciality and alternative treatment may be custom designed for your application (industrial, aquiculture, agriculture) View Technical Paper