What is Stormceptor?
Stormceptor is the recognized leader in stormwater quality treatment, offering a range of versatile treatment systems that effectively remove pollutants from stormwater and snowmelt runoff. Stormceptor is flexibly designed to protect waterways from hazardous material spills and stormwater pollution, including suspended sediment, free oils, and other pollutants that attach to particles , no matter how fierce the storm. The Stormceptor’s patented scour prevention technology ensures pollutants are captured and contained during all rainfall events.
How Does Stormceptor Work?
- Stormwater enters the Stormceptor through the inlet pipe(s) or inlet grate. A specially designed insert slows the water down and directs it to a lower chamber
- The non-turbulent chamber allows free oils and debris to rise, and sediment to settle
- Free oils and other floatables remain trapped
- Sediment settles and lies dormant and retained for later removal
- Stormceptor’s patented scour prevention technology ensures pollutants are captured and contained during all rainfall events, even extreme storms
- Treated stormwater exits the unit via the outlet pipe
Stormceptor Features and Benefits
|1. Patented scour prevention technology
||1. Superior pollutant removal and retention
|2. Can take the place of a conventional junction or inlet structure
||2. Eliminates the need for additional structures
|3. Minimal drop between inlet and outlet
||3. Site flexibility
|4. Multiple inlets can connect to a single unit
||4. Design flexibility
|5. 3rd party verified performance (Sediment & Oil)
||5. Treatment with confidence
Click Here to Download the Stormceptor Brochure
The most commonly used stormwater quality treatment system globally. Easy to install, flexibly designed to meet your site’s needs with proven, long-standing performance.
Engineered to meet stormwater quality requirements centered on capture of fine-sand size particles.
Compliments the Stormceptor product line by providing increased storage for safe containment of hydrocarbons.
Expands the Stormceptor technology platform by providing stormwater quality treatment for larger drainage areas, by use of its modular and expandable design.
With more than 20 years of industry experience, Stormceptor has been tested and verified by some of the most stringent technology evaluation organizations in North America. Stormceptor is approved through numerous State, Provincial, and Federal verification programs, including;
Stormceptor STC - Performance Testing Results
- 97.8% Oil removal, 83% Inorganic Sediment Removal, 73% Organic Particle Removal - Coventry University - Full Scale Testing
- 87% TSS Removal, 99% TPH Removal - Field Monitoring - Seattle, WA
- 93% TSS Removal, 82% TPH Removal - Field Monitoring - Westwood, MA
- 76% TSS Removal, 65% TKN Removal, 32% TP Removal - Field Monitoring - Como Park, MN
- 75% TSS Removal (per NJDEP’s weighted removal) & Online Approval - New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) approved Stormceptor STC for online use
- No Scour - Minnesota Department of Transportation (MN DOT) Research Services evaluates the susceptibility of the Stormceptor to scouring of collected sediments. Report concluded that the unit does not scour at high flows as long as sediment depth does not exceed maintenance level
- Canadian ETV Performance Verification
Stormceptor OSR - Performance Testing Results
- 50% TSS Removal (per NJDEP’s weighted removal) - New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) approved Stormceptor OSR
View Study View Approval
Stormceptor is used to remove pollutants and provide spill protection anywhere there is stormwater runoff or snowmelt, commonly in the following applications:
- Anywhere there is pavement and stormwater quality treatment is needed (commercial sites, roadways/highways, municipal sites, airports/ports, gas stations and other fuel depots, military sites, residential development, industrial sites)
- Retrofit projects
- Redevelopment projects
- Pretreatment to other stormwater management systems (retention/detention, filtration, LID)
Stormceptor Options and Accessories
The following options and accessories are available for specific functions and site conditions:
- High load structure - Standard design loading is CHBDC or AASHTO H-20. Specialized loading can be designed to withstand very high loadings such as airports and port facilities
- Submerged - This custom designed arrangement can be applied to any Stormceptor to accommodate a submerged pipe application, often applied nearby lakes, rivers, coastal areas and areas with high groundwater tables
- Oil Alarm - To mitigate spill liability with 24/7 detection, an electronic monitoring system can be employed to trigger a visual and audible alarm when an oil spill occurs Oil Alarm Brochure
- Additional oil capture system - An oil draw-off tank to increase oil spill and storage capacity can be custom designed and incorporated with the Stormceptor
- Shallow units - Stormceptor designs can be developed to accommodate shallow depths for sites with bedrock, high groundwater or other underground obstructions
- Lightweight - Sites that required lightweight above ground units are
available as fiberglass systems.
Inspection and Maintenance is fundamental to the long-term performance of any stormwater quality treatment device. While regular maintenance is crucial, it shouldn’t be complicated. Conducted at grade, Stormceptor’s design makes inspections and maintenance an easy and an inexpensive process. Once maintained, the Stormceptor is functionally restored as designed, with full pollutant capture capacity.
Stormceptor Maintenance Recommendations:
Stormceptor Maintenance Manual
Stormceptor Owner's Manual
- Units should be inspected post construction, prior to being put into service
- Inspect every six months for the first year to determine the oil and sediment accumulation rate
- In subsequent years, inspections can be based on first-year observations or local requirements
- Inspect the unit immediately after an oil, fuel or chemical spill. A licensed waste management company should remove oil and sediment and dispose responsibly
- Cleaning is recommended once the sediment depth reaches 15% of storage capacity
- Maintenance is performed quickly and inexpensively with a standard vacuum truck
- With no moving parts, servicing usually takes less than two hours
PCSWMM - Advanced stormwater sizing and design software
PCSWMM for Stormceptor is continuous simulation modelling software that determines the best Stormceptor system for your site. Based on the US EPA’s SWMM (Storm Water Management Model), PCSWMM for Stormceptor makes the sizing of Stormceptor systems a straightforward and streamlined process.
- Accurate - Recent and historical data from 1,900 weather stations across North America
- Flexible - Works with your specific site conditions, including a variety of particle size distributions
- Available 24/7 - No need to wait for a sales rep – use the program in your home or office
- Fast - The step-by-step sizing program takes just minutes
- Useful reports - Generates easy to understand information for clients and regulators